Faraday Station F — History
Location: Station F — Faraday
(Known as Argentine Islands until 15 Aug 1977)
Position: Lat. 65° 15′ S, Long. 64° 16′ W
General location: Marina Point, Galindez Island, Argentine Islands
Geophysics, meteorology and ionospherics.
7 Jan 1947 – 6 Feb 1996.
It was occupied continuously for a total of 49 years and 31 days by FIDS and BAS, the longest continuous occupation of any British station to date.
The original site was on Winter Island, previously the site of the British Graham Land Expedition (BGLE) hut of 1935–1936 which was destroyed (possibly by a tsunami) in 1946.
The main hut on Winter Island was named Wordie House after Sir James Wordie, member of Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1914–1916, Operation Tabarin Advisory Committee 1943–1945 and FID Scientific Committee 1948. It was closed on 30 May 1954 when the station was transferred to Galindez Island. It was re-occupied in the winter of 1960 when personnel for Station T failed to reach Adelaide Island and were forced to winter there.
New buildings were erected in Feb 1954 on Galindez Island. The main building was named Coronation House after the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
Field huts: An Argentine refuge hut on Petermann Island was used periodically by BAS personnel from Faraday Station.
- G H Hargreaves, M A Walker and G J Whitfield, Sep 1976: single cross on Rasmussen Island.
- A C Morgan, K P Ockleton and J Coll, 14 Aug 1982: single cross on Petermann Island.
Wordie House was designated as Historic Site No. 62 under the Antarctic Treaty, 19 May 1995. The Galindez Island station complex was transferred to the Ukraine on 6 Feb 1996 and renamed Vernadsky. Personnel from Vernadsky now maintain Wordie House
Associated Refuge: Rasmussen Hut.