Signy Research Station H — History
Location of Station H — Signy
(Known as Signy Island until Aug 1977)
Position: Lat. 60° 43′ S, Long. 45° 36′ W
General location: Factory Cove, Borge Bay, Signy Island, South Orkney Islands
- 18 March 1947 – 13 April 1996
- Austral summers 1996/97 – present
Occupied continuously for a total of 49 years 27 days.
The original building was erected on Berntsen Point, overlooking Factory Cove. It was named Clifford House after Sir Miles Clifford, Governor of the Falkland Islands 1947–1954. A laboratory was added on 12 February 1948 and an extension to the main hut on 25 February 1950. The latter building had originally stood at 1998 Admiralty Bay (Station G). These buildings were re-sited in Factory Cove.
The main building established on 3 February 1955 was named Tønsberg House after the whaling company Tønsbergs Hvalfangeri. It was established on the site of the company’s old whaling station at Factory Cove.
Construction of a plastic hut containing living accommodation and laboratories began on 18 December 1963. This was closed except for use as a store in January 1997.
Sørlle House was erected December 1980 to house diving and laboratory facilities. It was named after the Sørlle family — Petter Sørlle was the whaling ship Captain who surveyed the South Orkney Islands 1912–1913 and named Signy Island after his wife. It was demolished in March 1995. A new Sørlle House was erected on the foundations of the old in the summer of 1995/96 with living accommodation, laboratories and offices.
Field huts and hides have existed at one time or another at the following sites: Foca Cove, Gourlay Peninsula, Three Lakes Valley, Cummings Cove, Jane Col, Factory Bluffs, Moraine Valley, Shagnasty and North Point. Shingle Hut, built in Jan 1963 at Shingle Cove, Coronation Island, was used as a depot and staging post for personnel travelling on Coronation Island.
R. Filer, 13 Feb 1961: grave on Pantomime Point.
Occupied during austral summers.