The Science Board advises the BAS Board on science strategy and investments, and setting of priorities.
The Science Board consists of the Director; the Head of Science Strategy and the Head of Science Delivery; the six Polar Science for Planet Earth (PSPE) Science Leaders; and one of the independent Non-Executive BAS Board Members. The Board meetings are coordinated with the BAS Board meetings which are held monthly.
Full list of Science Board members
- Professor Alan Rodger, Interim Director & BAS Board Member, Science Strategy - Chair
- Mrs Gill Alexander, Science Support Office - Secretary
- Dr Alistair Crame, PSPE Science Leader
- Dr John King, PSPE Science Leader
- Dr Michael Meredith, PSPE Science Leader
- Professor Eugene Murphy, PSPE Science Leader
- Professor David Vaughan, PSPE Science Leader
- Dr Eric Wolff, PSPE Science Leader
- Mr Mike Pinnock, BAS Board Member, Science Delivery
- Professor John Shepherd, Independent BAS Board Member
The main functions of the Science Board are to:
- advise the BAS Board on science strategy and investments, and setting of priorities;
- develop and update a science strategy that keeps BAS at the forefront of polar science, meets the current NERC science strategy and can deliver BAS’s Vision;
- identify opportunities e.g. involvement with major initiatives;
- vire finances between programmes providing done within the overall budget.