Medical guidelines and forms
Charlotte Peck firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Visitors - please direct all completed medical forms to:
Chris Aldridge email@example.com
Alternatively fax or post forms to
Fax +44 (0) 1223 362616
British Antarctic Survey
The BAS Medical unit is based in Plymouth. They review everyone's medical status before deployment, both Arctic and Antarctic.
The BASMU 3 is the self assessment form that must be filled out for every deployment.
A medical done by a doctor (the BASMU 4) must be done on your first deployment, and thereafter according to age, unless requested by BASMU.
5 yearly review medical until age 35
3 yearly review medical thereafter to age 50 Annual review after 50
All papers are reviewed by BASMU on a case by case basis, depending upon the individual and the destination, and length of deployment.
Although Personnel will check that all staff on Antarctic duty are medically screened before travelling South, please note that it is also the responsibility of the individual to ensure they complete all the required procedures.
Wintering staff will be required to undergo blood donor screening as per the BAS policy on this issue. Summer staff are encouraged to provide their blood group if known.
The “review” will continue to be either a full medical or consultation on the recommendation of BASMU and final decision on a member of staff’s fitness will rest with the BASMU Medical Director, Dr Anne Hicks.
(Please read first)
- Medical requirements for BAS Antarctic / Arctic employment or deployment pdf | rtf
- Medical Aspects of Living and Working in Antarctica (BASMU 2) pdf
- Medical insurance guidelines for Non BAS Staff pdf | rtf
Forms and Policy Documents
- BASMU 1 - Antarctic Service Application Medical Form (if applying for employment with BAS) pdf | rtf
- BASMU 2 - Medical Aspects of Living and Working in Antarctica pdf | rtf
- BASMU 3 - Medical Questionnaire (Including Consent Form) pdf | rtf
- BASMU 4 – Medical Examination Form (completion by examining doctor) pdf | rtf
- BASMU 5 – Notes for Examining Doctor pdf | rtf
- BASMU 6 – Blood Transfusion Policy and Blood Group / Donor Consent Form pdf | rtf
- Blood Testing Information Sheet pdf | rtf
- BASMU 7 – Antarctic/Arctic Summer season dental form pdf | rtf
- BASMU 8 – BAS Wintering Staff Dental Assessment pdf | rtf
- BAS Medical Requirement Check List pdf | rtf
- List of Immunisations Required pdf | rtf
- Medical Insurance (Summer Visitors only) pdf | rtf
- Policy on Pregnancy in the Antarctic and Arctic pdf | rtf
- BAS Immunisation Policy pdf | rtf
For any queries relating to Medical forms and policies please consult:
BAS Medical Unit (BASMU) Contact Details
Tel: +44 (0) 1752 315220
Fax: +44 (0) 1752 315219
BAS Medical Unit